Learning is a process that never ends. It is something that we should be doing all the time, not just during school hours or when we are in college. When you are working to achieve a goal, you need to know as much as you can about it. This will help you to know more about the company that you are working for and give you a deeper insight into the world that you live in.
A compilation of the best general knowledge facts and ideas for all students. General knowledge is an important aspect of education, but it’s not something that is taught a lot of the time. This article looks at the 50+ best general knowledge facts and ideas for all students to learn.
We all have heard a lot of inspiring quotes, stories, and historical events, but, have you ever wondered where these facts come from? The students who are preparing for an upcoming general knowledge quiz or an exam have the best memories to learn these facts. Well, the easiest way to have a pleasant experience is to gather some of the best general knowledge facts.
Facts are the most important part of any educational piece of work. They give credibility to and make it appealing to the readers. Using mind-blowing general knowledge facts about the world around us in your essays can help you score high grades. This article will help you find the best general knowledge facts.
Following 50+Best General Knowledge Facts and Ideas
The General Knowledge Questions and Answers are a part of almost all the competitive exams, be it Banking exams, Railway exams, UPSC exams, etc. There are many ways in which you can prepare to crack the GK questions. But the most important thing that you should keep in mind while preparing GK is to have fun while learning. In this article, we have listed down the 50 best general knowledge facts that can help you in cracking these exams effortlessly.
There are many ways through which everyone can learn general knowledge facts and ideas. Students can find many books that offer general knowledge facts. But, the problem is that all the general knowledge questions and answers and facts that find are not the best ones and are not in the most appropriate way. So, we have compiled a list of 50 Best General Knowledge Facts and Ideas.
Best General Knowledge Questions and Answers
1. Who is the Father of our Nation?
Answer: Mahatma Gandhi
2. Who was the first President of India?
Answer: Dr. Rajendra Prasad
3. Who is known as the Father of the Indian Constitution?
Answer: Dr. B. R. Ambedkar
4. Which is the most sensitive organ in our body?
5. Giddha is the folk dance of?
6. Who was the first Prime Minister of India?
Answer: Jawaharlal Nehru was the first Prime Minister of India.
7. Which is the heavier metal of these two? Gold or Silver?
8. Who invented the Computer?
Answer: Charles Babbage
9. 1024 Kilobytes is equal to?
Answer: 1 Megabyte (MB)
10. Brain of the computer is?
11. India lies in which continent?
12. Which country are the Giza Pyramids in?
Answer: The Giza Pyramids are in Egypt.
13. What city is the statue of liberty in?
Answer: The statue of liberty is in New York City
14. How many Cricket world cups does India have?
Answer: India has two cricket world cups.
15. Martyrs’ Day is celebrated every year on?
Answer: 30th January
General Knowledge Facts About the World
1. Japan is also called the land of the rising sun.
2. The world’s largest sundial is located in India.
3. Rajasthan has a temple for rats.
4. It’s against the law to have a pet dog in Iceland.
5. There is a city called Rome on every continent.
General knowledge of facts about animals makes dull moments exciting for students. It could also lead to discussions on the animal kingdom, which helps students discover newer facts and add them to their knowledge bank.
General Knowledge Facts About Ancient Indian History
- Metronymic was borne by the later rulers of which among the following dynasties?
Answer: D [ Satavahana ]
Metronymic: A name derived from the name of a mother or female ancestor. The metronymic are borne by the later Satavahanas and not by the early Satavahanas. It was mainly because Satavahanas had to establish a matrimonial alliance with maharishis. The metronymic of the Satavahanas was the result of such alliances.
2. What is the number of prehistoric rock shelters in Bhimbetka?[A] 221
Answer: B [ 243 ]
243 will be the correct answer.
3. At which Indus Valley Site, the beared man in the steatite image has been found?[A] Harappa
Answer: B [ Mohenjodaro ]
In the Indus Valley Civilization, a beared man in steatite image has been found Mohenjodaro
4. Who was the earliest known Chola King who conquered Sri Lanka and ruled it?[A] Karikala
Answer: B [ Elara ]
Elara was the earliest known Chola King and conquered Srilanka and ruled over it for 50 years.
5. Which Indian city was also known as Kusumapura during the ancient period?[A] Allahabad
Answer: B [ Patna ]
Patna was known as Kusumapura during the ancient period. Aryabhata called himself a native of Kusumapura or Pataliputra (present-day Patna, Bihar).
6. Sarnath is associated with which aspect of Buddha’s life?[A] Birth
[C] First sermon
Answer: C [First sermon]
Buddha gave his first sermon at the Sarnath which is known as “Dhammachakra Parivartan”.
7. Which among the following emperors introduced the two laws of Vyavahar Samta and Danda Samata?[A] Chandragupta Maurya
[C] Chandragupta Vikramaditya
Answer: B [Asoka]
By his Vyavahara-Samata, Asoka wanted to regard all his subjects equal in Law. And, by his Danda-Samata he wanted ‘equality of punishment’ irrespective of caste and creed.
8. Which among the following is correct about Bhaddasala?[A] He was a poet in the court of Chandragupta Maurya
[B] He was the general of the Nanda Army
[C] He was an ambassador of Ceylon King sent to Asoka’s court
[D] He was a playwright in the Gupta Era
Answer: B [He was the general of the Nanda Army]
Bhaddasala – (Bhadra shala / Bhadra shal ) was a very strong opponent faced by Chandragupta. He was a general of King Nanda.
9. In which year, Nalanda University was destroyed?[A] 993 AD
[B] 1093 AD
[C] 1193 AD
[D] 1293 AD
Answer: C [1193 AD]
The Nalanda University was destroyed when the Muslim army was led by the Turkish leader Bakhtiyar Khilji in 1193. It is believed that Buddhism as a major religion in India had a setback for hundreds of years due to the loss of the religious texts during the attack.
10. Gandhara School of art is related to which of the following dynasties?[A] Shakas
Answer: B [Kushanas]
The Gandhara School of art was developed in the first century AD along with Mathura School during the reign of the Kushana emperor Kanishka. Both Shakas and Kushanas were patrons of the Gandhara School, which is known for the first sculptural representations of the Buddha in human form.
General Knowledge Facts About World Geography
- What is the region between the current leading edge of the glacier and the moraines of the latest maximum called?
[B] Glacier foreland
[C] Fluvial terrace
Answer: B [Glacier foreland]
The region between the current leading edge of the glacier and the moraines of the latest maximum is called as a Glacier foreland. It is also called a glacier forefield.
2. Which among the following statements is correct about Defile?[A] It is an elevated area of land with a flat top and sides that are usually steep cliffs
[B] It is a step-like landform
[C] It is the lowest point on a mountain ridge between two peaks
[D] It is a narrow pass or gorge between mountains or hills
Answer: D [It is a narrow pass or gorge between mountains or hills]
Defile is a type of slope landform. It is a narrow pass or a gorge between mountains or hills.
3. What is a steep conical hill of loose pyroclastic fragments around a volcanic vent?[A] Caldera
[B] Cinder cone
Answer: B [Cinder cone]
A cinder cone is a steep conical hill of loose pyroclastic fragments around a volcanic vent. Most cinder cones have a bowl-shaped crater at the summit.
4. The Lena Delta is located in which among the following countries?[A] India
Answer: A [India]
The Lena Delta with a size of 30,000 square kilometers is one of the largest in the world. It is located in the Sakha republic of Russia.
5. Which is the world’s largest alkaline lake?[A] Lake Titicaca
[B] Lake Superior
[C] Lake Turkana
[D] Lake Vostok
Answer: C [Lake Turcana]
Lake Turkana borders the countries Ethiopia and Kenya
It is the largest permanent desert lake
It is the world’s largest Alkaline lake.
6. Which is the highest mountain in North America?[A] Mt. Aconcagua
[B] Mt. Mckinley
[C] Mt. Elbrus
[D] Mt. Kilimanjaro
Answer: B [Mt. Mckinley ]
Mt. Mckinley, also known as Denali is the highest mountain on the North American continent. It is 6168 meters. It is located in the USA in the state of Alaska
7. The Laurentian Plateau is located in which among the following countries?[A] France
Answer: D [Canada]
The Laurentian Plateau, Canada, is also known as the Canadian Shield. Famous for exposed Precambrian igneous and high-grade metamorphic rocks. The fine quality of Iron Ore is found here.
8. Which among the following are conditions for the formation of air masses?
- The Source region should be extensive with gentle, divergent air circulation.
- A slightly prevalent low pressure
Select the correct code from the options given below:[A] Only 1
[B] Only 2
[C] Both 1 & 2
[D] Neither 1 & 2
Answer: A [Only 1]
Air masses occur over a homogeneous area, when air remains for a sufficiently long time, it acquires the characteristics of that area.
For the Air masses to form, the source region should be extensive with gentle, divergent air circulation (slightly at high pressure).
9. How much percentage of all oceans together does the Continental Shelf comprise?[A] 50 %
[B] 25. 7 %
[C] 18. 2 %
[D] 7.5 %
Answer: D [7.5 %]
Continental Shelf is the extended margin of each continent occupied by relatively shallow seas and gulfs. The Continental Shelf of all oceans together covers 7.5% of the total area of the oceans.
10. What is liquid mud, made up largely of the remains of various marine organisms?[A] Ooze
Answer: A [Ooze]
Pelagic deposits consist of both organic and inorganic material, and the organic material can frequently occur as ooze, which is a sort of liquid mud, made up largely of the remains of various marine organisms.
General Knowledge Facts About Indian Culture
- Kambala Sport is held in which state?
Answer: A [Karnataka]
Kambala is an annual buffalo race held in Karnataka and also in some parts of Kerala such as Kasaragod.
2. Among the five monolithic rathas of Pallavas at Mahabalipuram, the largest is ___?[A] Arjuna
Answer: C [Dharmaraja]
Mahabalipuram Temples: Pallava dynasty: The five monolithic rathas are square or oblong in plan, pyramidal in elevation, and varying in their overall dimensions. the Dharmaraja Ratha constructed in Pallava style is the largest of all, having huge pillars in the portico with statues of lions, a pyramidal tower, and a turret roof.
3. According to the beliefs of the Pasupata sect, Siva is the lord of Pasu. Pasu here refers to __?[A] Lion
Answer: D [Jiva]
The Pasupata was a Saivite sect associated with Siva in his aspect of the “Herdsman” (pasu, “animal” and pati, “lord”). The devotees of Pashupati Siva are called Pashupatas.
4. God knows man’s virtues and inquires not his caste; in the next world, there is no caste. This teaching is of __?[A] Kabir
[B] Guru Nanak
Answer: B [Guru Nanak]
Guru Nanak said that a man was to be honored for his devotion to God and not for his social position. He said– “God knows man’s virtues and inquires not his caste; in the next world there is no caste.”
5. The famous “Ganga Sagar Mela”, an annual fair is held in which state of India?[A] Bihar
[B] Uttar Pradesh
[D] West Bengal
Answer: D [West Bengal]
The Ganga Sagar Mela is a religious festival and the second biggest fair in India after the Kumbha Mela of India celebrated on Sagardwip (Sagar Island) in the West Bengal state of India. The fair is a six-day fair held in the month of January and on the day of Makar Sankranti, a ritual of pilgrims taking bath in holy water and visiting the nearby famous Kapil Muni Temple is performed.
6. Husari and Bihunas are two main forms of dancing which are among the following states?[A] Assam
[D] West Bengal
Answer: A [Assam]
Husari and Bihunas belongs to Assam. Husari is carol singing. Bihu songs and dances invariably follow the main item of Husari singing.
7. Singhey Khababs Festival is celebrated in which among the following states of India?[A] Himachal Pradesh
[B] Jammu & Kashmir
Answer: B [Jammu & Kashmir]
Singhey Khababs Sindhu festival was started in 2001 by the Union government to promote Lakakh as a tourist destination in the country. Since then it is organized annually. It is celebrated to endorse the Indus River (Sindhu River) as a symbol of the communal harmony and unity of India. It also promotes cultural values and tourism in the region.
8. How Kumbh Mela is organized in India?[A] Every 4 years at 3 location
[B] Every 12 years at 4 locations
[C] Every 3 years at 4 locations
[D] Every 4 years at 4 locations
Answer: B [Every 12 years at 4 locations]
Kumbha (Kumbha means pot) Mela is a sacred Hindu pilgrimage that takes place at the following four locations in India:
- Prayag (near the city of Allahabad, in the state of Uttar Pradesh) is at the confluence of three rivers Ganga (Ganges), Yamuna, and Saraswati
- Haridwar (in the state of Uttarakhand) where the river Ganga enters the plains from the Himalayas
- Ujjain (in Madhya Pradesh), on the banks of the Ksipra river, and
- Nasik (in Maharashtra) on the banks of the Godavari river.
The pilgrimage occurs four times every twelve years, once at each of the four locations. Each twelve-year cycle includes the Maha (great) Kumbh Mela at Prayag, attended by millions of people, making it the largest pilgrimage gathering around the world.
9. Which among the following Sikh Guru declared that Guru Granth Sahib will be the holy scripture of Sikhism and will be the permanent Guru of Sikhs?[A] Guru Govind Singh
[B] Guru Arjun Dev
[C] Guru Teg Bahadur
[D] None of them
Answer: A [Guru Govind Singh]
Guru Govind Singh declared that Guru Granth Sahib will be the holy scripture of Sikhism and will be the permanent Guru of Sikhs.
10. Which of the following dance form of Odisha is mainly a Sambalpuri folk dance?[A] Paika
Answer: B [Dalkhai]
The dalkhai dance form of Odisha is mainly a Sambalpuri folk dance. But apart from Sambalpur, it is performed in Bargarh, Balangir, Boudh, Sundargarh, Nuapada, and Dhenkanal districts.